This bread is SOOO delicious. The first time I made it, our small household of 3 ate it in 2 days. It is super moist and a little sweet. Best bread i've ever made. I think the key to a good texture, is placing a pan of water in the oven while the bread is baking.
Makes 1 loaf
3 C flour
3/4 C oats (instant or old fashioned)
2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 C milk
1/4 C lukewarm water
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 C honey
1 1/2 Tablespoons honey
1 1/2 Tablespoons oats
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, yeast and salt.
2. In a small bowl, warm the milk so that it's hot enough to melt the butter but not boiling. Add the butter, stir until melted. Then stir in the water and honey.
3. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, mixing until it just comes together to form a dough. Knead for 10 minutes, until elastic. If sticky, add more flour (I had to do this).
4. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl covered with plastic. Let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
5. Once doubled, place onto a clean surface. With your fingers, flatten the dough into a 9x12 inch rectangle. Tightly roll the dough, tucking in the ends into a loaf. Place into a 9x5 loaf pan. Cover with a clean towel, rise 1 1/2 hours.
6. When doubled, brush top with warm honey and sprinkle with oats.
7. Place 1 bread pan in oven, filled with water (lower rack). Place bread in oven, cook at 350 for 40-50 minutes.
8. Let cool completely.